The motor sailer Läänemaa is one of the most notable ships in the history of Estonian cargo fleet. This cargo ship was the first state-of-the-art steel-hulled ship built in Estonia that sailed under the same name until the end. The ship was designed by one of the most skilled shipbuilding engineers, Lieutenant Captain Nikolai Link, according to the highest-class requirements of the German insurance association Lloyd. On 6 December 1919, a ceremonial keel-laying took place at the Petrograd Shipyard (formerly and later Noblessner); the ship became seaworthy by 5 August 1922, when a test voyage was made. During the particularly rough winter of 1928, the ship was hit by an onslaught of ice and was so badly damaged that it was feared it would perish. The ship’s repair works in Germany lasted for six weeks, after which the Läänemaa became a three-masted motor ship. In 1947, a new 400-horsepower main engine was installed on the ship at the Loksa ship repair factory, and two masts and three cargo beams were retained. In the years 1954–1955, the ship was repaired at Leningrad: a new stern structure was installed, the unloading and loading system was completely replaced, and radio and electrical navigation equipment was installed. The ship was decommissioned in 1970.
About this stamp in philately foorum.