Stenbock House,
Seat of the Estonian Government and
State Chancellery


Date of Issue : February 20, 2001
Designer : Jaan Saar
Denomination : 6 kr 50 s
Perforation : 14:13¾
Sheet Content : 50 Stamps (5 x 10)
Printing Process : Offset
Printing House : AS Vaba Maa
Quantity Issued : 314 650
Order Number : 213-01-2001
FDC Number : 2001-4
Eesti Post : Estonian goverment seat (Stenbock House)

Stenbock House, Seat of the Estonian Government and State Chancellery

Designed by Johann Caspahr Mohr in strict Classical style, the conspicuous house with a balcony supported by six Doric pillars perches at the northern edge of the cliff of Toompea in central Tallinn.

On completion in 1792, the house, intended as the seat of the Courts of Justice of the then Russian Province of Estland, was taken into use as the town residence of Count Jakob Pontus Stenbock.

After serving various other purposes, it was finally turned into a court building in 1891 and maintained that function until 1987. Later the house remained derelict for nearly a decade until renovators moved into it in 1996.

The Estonian government, which earlier occupied a set of rooms in the nearby Toompea palace, met for its first session in Stenbock House house on 8 August 2000.


preview STAMPS 2001 next