Olustvere Hall


Estonian Manors Stamps:

01.06.1999 - Olustvere
23.05.2000 - Palmse
17.04.2001 - Laupa

Date of Issue : June 1, 1999
Designer : Jaan Saar
Denomination : 3 kr 60 s
Perforation : 14:13¾
Sheet Content : 50 Stamps (5 x 10)
Printing Process : Offset
Printing House : AS Vaba Maa
Quantity Issued : 608 200
Order Number : 168-05-1999
First Day Cover Number : 1999-7
Eesti Post : Hall Olustvere

Single franking:

  • Inland letters up to 20 g
  • The Olustvere manor, first laid out at the present place in the early 17th century, belonged to the counts Fersen from the 18th century to 1920, when the estate was nationalised by the young Republic of Estonia. The present buildings date from the late 19th and the early 20th centuries. The manor hall, a fine building in a historical style with Renaissance features, draws on the English country house, particularly in the decoration of its spacious ash-panelled hall. The main stairs and the balconies are among the grandest in Estonia.

    The successful agricultural practices of the manor were continued by its successor, the Estonian Alexander Agricultural School set up on its basis in 1920. An agricultural college occupies the buildings also today. The manor hall is used for festive occasions and ceremonies; it houses a tourist information desk and a museum.

    More Information

  • BTG Estonian Travel Guide 98/99 -- Olustvere
  • Estonian Institute -- Estonian Manor Houses (Ants Hein)

  • preview STAMPS 1999 next