Kiiu Castle



Estonian Stamps. Castle Issues:
12.10.1993 - Toompea
10.12.1993 - Narva
23.12.1993 - Haapsalu
22.02.1994 - Toolse
31.03.1994 - Kiiu
20.09.1994 - Kuressaare
28.12.1994 - Rakvere
25.01.1996 - Paide
25.07.1996 - Purtse
21.01.1997 - Viljandi

Commemorative Calendar Postmark:
16.06.2000 - Kiiu

Date of Issue : March 31, 1994
Designer : Jaan Saar
Denomination : 3 kr
Perforation : 13¾:14
Sheet Content : 50 Stamps (10 x 5)
Printing Process : Offset
Printing House : AS Vaba Maa
Quantity Issued : 2 650 000
Order Number : 062-02-1994
First Day Cover Number : 1994-3
Eesti Post :

Kiiu Castle, the so-called Monks' Tower, was built in 1517-19 by Fabian von Tiesenhausen, the owner of the Kiiu estate. All its four stories have embrasures and are connected by a staircase inside the outer wall. Only the first floor was used as living quarters, the other floors werw meant only for defence. A circular wooden defence gallery ran around the tower at second-floor level. Together with the upper storey it was destoyred during the Livonian War and restored in 1973. Kiiu is the smallest surviving defence structure in the Baltic countries. Now it is used as a cafe.

More Information:

  • Kuusalu commune -- BTG Travel Guide Estonia (1997)


  • preview STAMPS 1994 next